If you're in search of the perfect wave this December, try our top picks for 2015. You may have to leave Laguna Beach, but you won't have to break the bank.
- Puerto Escondido, Mexico
- Sri Lanka
- Northern Peru
- Puerto Rico
- Baja California
1. Head to Puerto Escondido, Mexico, for easy waves and a great time. Cheap beer, affordable accommodations and decent beach break make it worth the trip from Laguna Beach.
2. Sri Lanka is a newly safe destination with a re-emerging surf scene. Food is a bargain here, and rooms go for less than what you'd normally pay for a meal at home.
3. While not as inexpensive as some of our other top destinations for 2015, Morocco offers relatively affordable hotels. Although the country feels exotic, surf conditions and weather are similar to what Laguna Beach surfers are used to.
4. Bypass the more popular Chicama and opt for the northern region of Peru. Year-round groundswells, warm water temps, fantastic fresh seafood and budget-friendly everything make this a no-brainer December surfing destination.
5. Uruguay is another South American destination to consider. Amazing surfing, friendly locals, mouthwatering steaks and incredibly low daily expenses will make you wonder why you don't get out of Laguna Beach more often.
6. Considering the stunning natural beauty of Thailand, the inexpensive lodging and food are surprising. Oh, and you'll find impressive waves and the occasional surf shop.
7. You won't have to travel quite as far to enjoy surfing in Puerto Rico. This underrated destination is situated near some pretty amazing surf spots.
8. It shouldn't be surprising that Indonesia is growing in popularity with surfers. Bali offers 20-plus top-notch breaks, and you'll have access to literally thousands of nearby less-crowded islands.
9. Reliably good surf, warm water and great deals on lodging and food make Nicaragua the perfect go-to spot. You'll need a longer-than-usual board to get into waves, thanks to intense off-shore winds.
10. Avoid the Laguna Beach crowds and head to less crowded Baja California this December. Enjoy amazing surfing and eat like royalty for unheard-of 2015 prices. Stay safe by avoiding nighttime driving and never drinking the water.